3 posts tagged

release

Website code intact

The time has come for my website’s code to be cleaned up. Before I refreshed it today, it was a rusty old attic with no sense of order at all. The only reasonable place to have this kind of code is a Halloween website party.

Its incomprehensibility obstructed me from improving my website. While there are no major changes in the design, there is now a starting point for going forward.

What’s new
All colours are specified in RGB;
margins and paddings are in sync with each other as well as being noted correctly;
the amount of styles has been reduced;
code is now easier to read.

robertblinov.net

P. S. May the Force be with my website!

 No comments    2   15 d   my website   release

Website for Pigna Library

I started talking with the library’s director, Freddy Colt, in July. In August we agreed that I’d be a volunteer and help the library with some stuff. We agreed on what I will work on, but the necessary information and files were never sent due to shareholders other library administrators not agreeing.

One of those things was an online book catalogue. When I was in Sanremo, I went to the library and nudged Freddy to give me the book catalogue. Once I got it, I talked to a friend of mine, Ilya Sidorchik, a master of library catalogue and database projects. It became his term paper (project).

Work started immediately. Ilya became the art director.

This was my first sketch:

Then I improved it a bit:

Ilya started talking to me philosophically about “building a castle” and the Italians that built the Kremlin. Food, wine, and the sun are also part of the conversation, because they are things that excite Italians.

He brings up an idea on how to make the website’s aesthetics look more captivating:

Favourites chooser in iOS 7 Apple Music

I did this:

Ilya responded: “Robert, I think you’re still restricting yourself. There’s no need for that.”

Fixed:

Since I was making six different versions, I saw that the 2560 px version could also use an upgrade:

Another idea came up:

We started talking about the details and how putting actual book covers on the home page is close to impossible: the library has rare books the covers of which are not readily available. He also tells me the five steps I should follow to make the website better.

Working on this project also reminded me about how long Italian words usually are.

I started from scratch.

I added support for adding the library’s events in the top-right corner:

I fine-tuned the details with nine intermediate mockups. My final mockup:

I was in parallel studying code, which meant I solved the first & last name crisis we had:

Name = 'Calvino Italo'
print(Name.split(' ')[1], Name.split(' ')[0])

The book adding page looks like this. It is meant to be identical to book editing, because editing is the same thing as adding but with info already filled out.

Ilya then worked hard to make the website come to life.

I came to Italy, met Freddy and gave him the keys.

Pigna.pro

P. S. Ilya’s post (in Russian)

 No comments    6   23 d   my projects   release   website

Updating CGP Grey’s Europe diagram

I looked at CGP Grey’s Europe diagram yesterday and saw that it was outdated. Latvia and Lithuania are now in the Eurozone, and not just in the EU. I started with a blank sheet and worked my way through.

I also added the four countries that use the euro but aren’t in the EU: Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, and the Vatican. I did not add Montenegro and Kosovo to this zone: if I added them, I’d have to add Zimbabwe, as they all use the euro but aren’t approved by the Council to do so.

My diagram is rather simple, as it only shows what is useful to a person travelling or working in Europe. Nothing extraordinary like this one from Wikipedia:

 No comments    4   7 mon   design   Europe   release   the world